Sunday 27 May 2012

Sunday Sounds 46 - Eurovision 2012 Edition

Normally, I reserve Sunday Sounds for songs I like - this week's edition is, however, slightly different.

Over on Twitter, fellow blogger Stephen took me to task over my observation late last night that from what I had heard of it, Britain's Eurovision entry was (and I didn't put too fine a point on this) shit. Here is the exchange we had:


Now, Engelbert Humperdinck is an act whom I know little about. I need to be reminded of his biggest hits and find it hard to divorce him from his image as an ageing act catering to, how shall we put this, the, ah, mature lady. Anyways, this morning I have found the Eurovision track on You Tube and (as I type this) I am about to listen to it. I am trying to keep an open mind but the fact it's called "Love Will Set You Free" doesn't bode well...

Twee, Sentimental, Twaddle, Claptrap, Cliched and yes, Shit. Indeed some of the lyrics gave me the dry boak. I'm sorry, Stephen, but having listened to it in it's entirety, my opinion remains unchanged. I don't even wish to watch it again for the purposes of further analysis...

Still, you may like it - see what you think:



Andrew

3 comments:

Raybeard said...

Hmmmm. Interesting POV, Andrew. That's all I'm going to say - apart from bringing your attention to my own blog about last night.

Graeme said...

As a radio 2 listener I was sick to death of hearing it by last night (it's been on since March).

Missed ESC as was was hugely ill yeaterday. Surprised Norway came behind us - the guy was a babe and the song was decent.

oneexwidow said...

Thanks Raybeard - I had read it by the time you commented at least, rather than wrote the blog.

I can't comment on it's merits in relation to the other songs and admit I'm not really one for sentimental ballads. The exception to this probably is those in certain musicals where I can relate them back to the narrative.

Graeme: Yes - it's very stereotypical "old" Radio 2, although I had thought they had tried to move away from that over the past decade or so!