Wednesday 27 April 2011

Not an A-Z of my CDs: H

This week's entry is a song from my mum's era which always reminds me of my grandad. It was also a Number 1 hit in 1988 when I was 13 going on 14. 

Originally a number 3 hit (and featuring Elton John on Piano, according to Wikipedia) it was re-released in direct competition with Bill Medley. The latter's version reached number 25 while The Hollies climbed to the top. It is, of course, He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother

I can remember it being on the wireless and my Grandad commenting on how much better songs were when you could hear the words properly - unlike modern music. I've often wondered, though, how accommodating he was of my mother's musical tastes at the time!

No need to say "enjoy" - how could you not?!





Andrew

1 comment:

Raybeard said...

I saw the Hollies live in the mid-70s, well after their height of popularity, of course, but still with their uniquely recognisable harmonies. And they played ALL their hits, which was quite a lot by then. I must confess that in the 1960s although my favourite group was, somewhat predictably) the you-know-who (clue: B******), but the Hollies and the Kinks were a good tie for second place. Great stuff!