Friday 24 February 2012

Something Tapped

Although I like to read, I haven't read a great deal of the classics - although I am slowly starting to rectify this. One author I intend reading at some stage is Thomas Hardy, author of Far from the Madding Crowd, Tess of the D'Urbervilles and Jude the Obscure amongst many others.

As well as novels, though, he also wrote poetry, much of it dedicated to his first wife. This volume of his poems was one of the subjects of Radio 4's A Good Read this week and listening to the programme inspired to look up and read some of his poems... This is one that I particularly liked:

Something Tapped by Thomas Hardy

Something tapped on the pane of my room
When there was never a trace
Of wind or rain, and I saw in the gloom
My weary Belovèd's face.

"O I am tired of waiting," she said,
"Night, morn, noon, afternoon;
So cold it is in my lonely bed,
And I thought you would join me soon!"

I rose and neared the window-glass,
But vanished thence has she:
Only a pallid moth, alas,
Tapped at the pane for me.

1 comment:

Raybeard said...

As an avid admirer of all Hardy's novels as well as being a great reader of poetry (6 poems every morning since being about 20) it's strange to admit to not being acquainted with his own poetry in particular. On the strength of this one example it's high time that omission was rectified.