Tuesday 4 January 2011

the widow's world in 2010 - according to Google Analytics

2010 was my first complete calender year of blogging, which saw me going from blogging around every 2-3 day to almost daily posts by the end of the year. I blog primarily for my own pleasure although I do check viewings of my blog on a regular basis. 

That said, the numbers remain, largely, contextless and (I imagine) relatively low. Nevertheless, I remain interested in what has been viewed and where those readers came from. So, here's a brief overview of how Google Analytics views my blog, starting with 2010's most read posts:
  1. This post on the RFL's tackling of the homophobic abuse of Gareth Thomas continues to attract high page visits - mainly due, I believe, to the picture of the man himself.
  2. The first of my Great Buildings posts on the Villa Savoye is also one of my personal favourites.
  3. Attitude magazine's approach to mental health issues got my goat in August.
  4. My post on Basil Spence's Coventry Cathedral proved popular - and also got name-checked on Liberal England in one of Lord Bonker's regular round up of interesting blogposts!
  5. The archaeological wonder which is Orkney's Skara Brae was the fifth most viewed of the year.
As can be seen, the architecture related posts were very popular, so I hope to post many more of these in 2011.

Visitors predominantly came, not surprisingly, from the UK. Aside from the UK though, an additional 97 countries were represented from Nepal to the Dominican Republic and Oman to the British Virgin Islands. The top ten countries were:

  1. United Kingdom
  2. United States
  3. France
  4. Canada
  5. Czech Republic
  6. Germany
  7. Australia
  8. Ireland
  9. Denmark
  10. Brazil
Visitors from Namibia and South Korea spent, on average, the longest visiting times.

I could go on, but that would probably bore the pants off you. All being well, though, I shall revisit these stats in a years time and see what Analytics has made of my blog in 2011!
Andrew

1 comment:

Kyle Leach said...

Andrew, congrats on surviving your first year!