Wednesday 11 January 2012

NOW! That's What I Call A Tune! 14

When I was growing up Pop Music, whilst not entirely Verboten, was not exactly encouraged in our household. Sounds of the Sixties on the wireless was allowed, though...

As a consequence, I grew up with a love of sixties music but largely oblivious to the trends of my childhood - punk and the new romantics. It wasn't until I was a teenager (from about '87 onwards) that I took to listening to the radio for myself, going to bed with Radio Scotland's nightly music programming.


As a result, the period covered by the last few (and next few) NOW! albums represent some of my formative music listening years. I mentioned last week that there were a number of tracks I could have chosen from NOW! XIII and the same can be said for NOW! 14. I could have easily chosen any one of the following tracks:

  1. Phil Collins: "Two Hearts"
  2. Erasure: Stop
  3. Bananarama & LaNaNeeNeeNooNoo: "Help!"
  4. Hue & Cry: "Looking for Linda"
  5. Yazz: "Fine Time"
  6. Sam Brown: "Stop!"
  7. Roy Orbison: "You Got It"
  8. Fine Young Cannibals: "She Drives Me Crazy"
  9. INXS: "Need You Tonight"
  10. Morrissey: "The Last of the Famous International Playboys"
  11. Poison: "Every Rose Has It's Thorn"
  12. Simple Minds: "Belfast Child"
  13. Neneh Cherry: "Buffalo Stance"
  14. Robin Beck: "The First Time"
  15. Paula Abdul: "Straight Up"
  16. Michael Ball: "Love Changes Everything"


The track that I have chosen, though, betrays that early love (or "indoctrination") of the music of the sixties:


Andrew

1 comment:

Raybeard said...

Seems unjust that the only time the late, great G.P. achieved a U.K. Number 1 as performer was through this duet, though some of the songs he wrote which were recorded by others did reach the top. But this particular one was certainly worthy of the summit.