Tuesday 21 June 2011

Jazz... Nice

Aside from going to a few gigs with friends in Edinburgh, I've never really got into Jazz. That said, what I've heard and experienced I have, on the whole enjoyed.

That's not, I hasten to point out, due to it's perceived lack of coolness, although to many Jazz has a bit of an image problem - think Tweed jackets with elbow patches and a nice pair of Hush Puppies (or Ken Clarke, if you must). And, of course, there's Mark Thompson's Jazz Club Host from The Fast Show:




Anyway, the genesis of this post came about whilst listening to my Desert Island Discs podcast. This week's castaway, Len Goodman, chose Dave Brubeck with Take Five. It is a quintessential Jazz track that I'd heard many times - but never knew who it was or what it was called. Here it is:



Enjoy... and feel free to suggest other Jazz standard to me - Spotify links welcome!

Andrew

3 comments:

Stephen Chapman said...

lack of coolness?!

There is nothing more cool than some quality jazz drifting through the room on a sunny Sunday morning. Or a jazz club (used to be smokey, but not any more) full of hip young people.

Try Jazz Library on Radio 3 - well worth a listen

oneexwidow said...

That's why I said "perceived" lack of coolness!

Stephen Glenn said...

Well here area a few for starters

Take the A Train http://open.spotify.com/track/63ra0scN7v7UsMJ0fZvWHc

Angel Eyes http://open.spotify.com/track/0ye3T6Z97NTGGyE7PVYshQ

It Don't Mean a Thing (If it ain't got that swing) Louis Armstrong and Duke Ellington version http://open.spotify.com/track/6itlI3Mf2zR3DhLw9MoHdy