Monday 8 February 2010

A History of the World

As I've mentioned previously, I started a new job last week. One of the benefits of this is that my commute is that by foot and train rather than car, which means I can read and listen to my iPod.

As well as having music on my iPod, I've also downloaded a whole host of podcasts from the BBC - meaning I can listen to programmes I wouldn't normally be able to. One of these is Radio 4's A History of the World in 100 Objects.

The series is presented by Neil MacGregor, who is a director of the British Museum. He has chosen 100 objects from the museum's collection with which to illustrate the story of human development from the earliest times. Each programme takes the form of 15 minute essay describing the object in question, the cultural background of it's creation and what it tells about our history.

I have to say I was sceptical at first - indeed before I knew the format of the programme, I thought it might be in a 5 minute slot. I've been won over by the conversational style of delivery and the obvious enthusiasm MacGregor has for his subject.

The programme is supported by an interactive and informative website which contains information on all the objects as well as allowing listeners to view the objects in detail.

Andrew

No comments: