Tuesday 11 August 2009

Life gets in the way of my escapism

Ever since I was a child I've loved reading. My parents read to me and my sisters, we were regulars at the library (this library) and our School reading record sheets were rapidly completed.

I remember the Thomas the Tank Engine books (back when they were postcard-sized hardbacks with beautiful glossy illustrations). As I grew older, I loved the Just William stories, Billy Bunter and Enid Blyton's Famous Five.

Then I discovered The Hobbit, and subsequently The Lord of the Rings - books that I re-visit every 4 years and completely adore. I still have my childhood copies published by the long-gone Unwin imprint. As a teenager, I also enjoyed Robert Cromier and went through a phase of reading Isaac Asimov stories too.

But then something happened. Life started getting in the way. My reading habits fell by the wayside. Telly, friends and the internet all have a way of crowding in and taking up time. Before I knew it a day, week and month could go by and I'd have read nothing more than a cereal packet.

So around 10 years ago I started disciplining myself to read regularly - and to keep a record of what I had read. Every so often, though, I fall off the wagon.

This happened recently - a combination of busy work, TV and newly acquired laptop (and blog!) along with a heavy book and I suddenly discovered that it'd been a month since I'd read anything!

Last weekend I replaced the heavy book - A Vindication of the Rights of Woman by Mary Wollstonecroft - with a much lighter one - The Whole Day Through by Patrick Gale. It may not be the best book I've ever read but it was exactly what I needed - easy reading, short and straightforward - to kick start my reading habit.

So, if you ever think my posts are too infrequent - it's probably because I'm getting stuck into a book instead! But that's good too, as future posts may well be reviews of those very books.

1 comment:

rubiocartoons said...

It’s great return to read books. The same for me, and now that I try to learn your language, I have bought some books of second hand in Amazon. Sometimes is nice to park books and after, when you have books pages in your hands again is exiting.
Best wishes,