Monday 2 May 2011

Recent Films

It's been a while since I posted a film review - and it has, indeed, been a while since I was last at the cinema. Other than Brighton Rock, which I did review, the last few films I saw at the cinema (with my lasting impressions) were:

The Tourist - Attempted to appeal to blokes and blokesses alike and failed to entirely pull it off. Still, an enjoyable enough film for what it was.

The Kings Speech - What is there left to say about this, other than I didn't like it. Except I did. Very much.

Black Swan - After all the hype, this disappointed me. Although uncomfortable to watch I maybe would again, just to get my head round it.

Never Let Me Go - Very much my type of film, it performed poorly at the box office - although I could understand this in America, I would have thought Brits would have more of a stomach for it. A bleak vision of an alternative reality in which a generation of children are raised to provide spare body parts for the rest of us. (NB - that not a spoiler unless you intend to read the book. In which case, my apologies. Do still read the book, though)

I've also seen a few films on DVD lately too, amongst them:
Cars - I thought the first half to two thirds lacked the usual charm of Pixar's films but it pulled through and won me over in the end!

The Social Network - A well written telling of the history of Facebook and the various lawsuits which it spawned. It's the screenplay that really makes this a good film.

Paranormal Activity 2 - Not as good as the original but interesting conceptual twist at the end.

It's a Wonderful Afterlife - From the director of Bend it like Beckham, a truly bizarre story of murder, love and restless spirits. Not particularly recommended.

I also watched the M. Night Shyamalan penned Devil but will need to watch again after dosing off through much of it.

Andrew

No comments: