Thursday 18 November 2010

Virtual Gallery - Room 5

It's been a while since I posted an entry in my virtual gallery. Today I've elected to feature a series of works painted from 1644 to 1648 by the French artist, Nicolas Poussin. It is a cycle of paintings based on the "Seven Sacraments" of Catholic Theology.

Although I'm not a religious person, some pieces of religious art can still resonate with me. In this case, though, it is not just the art which I really like but also the setting. The paintings are part of the collection of the National Gallery of Scotland and are displayed in an octagonal room which has the entrance in one wall and each of the seven paintings on the the others. The rich purple of the walls combine with the low light levels to give the paintings a somewhat serene setting. In some ways it's a bit like being in a dimly lit church.

I have decided to acquire these paintings for my virtual gallery but only if I can have the room they currently hang in as well!

The Sacrament of Baptism

The Sacrament of Confirmation
 
The Sacrament of Marriage


The Sacrament of Penance
 
The Sacrament of Ordination
 
The Sacrament of the Holy Eucharist
The Sacrament of Extreme Unction

You can find out more about these pictures, and Poussin, here.

Andrew

1 comment:

galerie arte said...

Discover Original Art is a virtual gallery that showcases original art from select artists. We provide a platform to art collectors so that they may discover exquisite beauty from our collection of artworks and choose some of the finest and most exciting original art.